Friday, February 18, 2011

Welcome


Hello everyone out there, who's interested in my blog. Before I start, I thought it will be appropriate to introduce myself. I was raised in Japan and I am Japanese, so my English is not perfect, so please bear with me.

I'm married to an American man for almost nine years and has been creating dishes that are fits us for many ways. My husband really likes Japanese cuisine, which makes much easier for me to cook everyday.

My husband is in the U.S. Navy and stationed in Sicily, Italy before, so we try to recreate Italian dishes as well. In Japan, Italian, American, and French cuisine are very popular. This will be another story.

Problem cooking here is that some of the ingredients are not easy to find in the United States. Luckily, I have a few stores I can go to and find some rare items or fresh fish; that I really like about being this area. I search for American recipes often and modified it to make it healthier and easier for me to cook, as well. So I cook Japanese, American and Italian most of the time. We like to go out to eat and our favorites are Mediterranean, Mexican and Italian so far.

When I tell my ethnicity which people usually can guess it easily, they assume that I COOK sushi at home all the time. That's probably 1st stereotype I hear a lot about being Japanese. However, in Japan, I never ever made sushi myself before till I moved in the U.S. (Yes, I learned how to make California rolls and took them to my 1st pot luck party I was invited.) The typical sushi was always take out or eat out food for a special occasion, when I was growing up. Different style of sushi, which is in plate or bowl, doesn't require to be shaped, which showing on the picture above call Tekka-don is a good example of sushi made at home.

Tekka-don is sashimi tuna on top of sushi rice. How to make sushi rice is easy, I found an authentic recipe at All About. I've purchased sashimi grade tuna at local grocery store, Harris Teeter. Have soy sauce and wasabi in a small plate or bowl ready for dipping. When you start eating this sushi, pick up one slice of sashimi tuna and dip the sashimi tuna on to the soy sauce/wasabi and then bring back to the rice bowl and scoop up one bite of the sushi rice. Finally, all the layer of yumminess (sashimi dipped with say sauce and sushi rice in all one bite) to your mouth. That's how we eat Tekka-don.

This picture from New Year's Day of this year. Our boys enjoyed it very much.

Hope you've enjoyed my story. Can't wait share more story about my food!

No comments:

Post a Comment